GARAGEWORKS NEWS RELEASE: Canadians admit to seven sins of garage disorganization
A recent Gladiator(R) GarageWorks survey found that Canadians garages are not the organized oasis they dream of. The majority of Canadians (76%) claim they’ve tried to organize their garage within the last year, but only 7% admit that it is truly organized.
Why? According to the survey, there’s a good chance that Canadians are guilty of at least one of the following seven sins of garage disorganization:
Sin No. 1: Procrastination – Almost one third (29%) of Canadians are organizational procrastinators putting off the task of cleaning their garage.
– Ontarians (35%) and Atlantic Canadians (31%) are the most likely to put off cleaning their garage. Residents of these provinces are also most likely to say they don’t have time to clean.
Sin No. 2: Frustration – Almost one quarter (24%) of Canadians get annoyed and frustrated when they can’t find things in their garage.
– Atlantic Canadians (38%) by far experience the most frustration locating items in the garage.
Sin No. 3: Abandonment – More than 20% of Canadians admit to using their garage as a dumping ground for unwanted items.
– Women (24%) are more likely than men (16%) to use their garage to keep things out of sight and out of mind.
Sin No. 4: Garage Envy – 17% of Canadians admit to being envious of a neighbour’s garage.
– Residents of the Atlantic provinces (27%) are most likely to admit being envious of a neighbour’s garage.
Sin No. 5: Hoarding – 17% of Canadian men admit to keeping so much stuff in their garage that it can’t be used for its intended purpose (to park a car).
Sin No. 6: Despair – One in ten Canadians (10%) has given up on having the garage of their dreams.
– Ontarians (13%) are most likely to say they’ve given up on having their ultimate garage.
Sin No. 7: Stink – Fortunately, only 2% of Canadians admit to ever having found an unidentifiable foul odour in their garage. In related findings:
– Almost half (44%) of Canadians use their garage to sort recycling or to store garbage.
– 5% of Canadians have never cleaned out their garage.
A little inspiration can help turn Canadian garage chaos into an efficient work and storage area. Crawl out from under the clutter by selecting a modular system with adaptable cabinets, bins and hooks, like the Gladiator(R) GarageWorks system, which will grow and change with your lifestyle and family needs. Gladiator GarageWorks is available through the Sears catalogue and at Lowe’s stores across the country. For more information please visit http://www.gladiatorgw.com.
About the survey:
The Gladiator(R) GarageWorks survey was conducted between February 23-25, 2010, through an Ipsos Omnibus online questionnaire. A total of 1,011 Canadians (513 men, 498 women), aged 18+, who have a garage, were surveyed.